On the left, small boards mark the beginning of forming panels.

Window Seat Bookcase: Building the Sides and Dividers, Part 2

In grade school I was taught the four season of the year: Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall. The other Sunday, the pastor of our church more correctly named off the seasons in Alabama: Light Winter, Early Summer, Mid-Summer and Late Summer.

Mid-Summer is here. I was reminded of the effect of our heat and thick humidity this week while planing a board in my basement workshop. As I worked my hand plane, a bead of sweat fell from my head onto my workbench. Have you ever had sweat fall on a prized piece of lumber or your tools? I use a box fan in my shop, but I do so reluctantly since wood dust gets spread over a larger area. It’s all part of the fun of woodworking during the hot summer months.


I left off last time with the frames for the sides and dividers mostly completed. Before I can call them finished, I will need to rout a slot in each leg and then later in the project, I’ll add a nice curve to the upper rear legs.  Continue reading

Low Bookcase 033114b

Window Seat Bookcase: Building the Sides and Dividers, Part 1

I am finally making good progress on my daughter’s window seat bookcase. I am still working longer hours at my new job which means forcing myself into the workshop in the evenings; longer periods of workshop time during the weekend.

I see this project being built this way: the sides and interior dividers first, then add the cross members which will give the bookcase its overall shape. Then add the horizontal surfaces. I will wait to begin glue-up of the various parts until later in the construction process. Also, shaping the crest rail will come later.

In my last post on this project, I had the legs cut to final size. The next task is to create the bookcase sides and interior dividers (shown in blue above). I began forming the upper and lower side rails. The legs will connect to these components and the sides will quickly begin to take shape. Continue reading

Moravian Workbench 2

New Workbench: Option Two

Earlier this year, I began contemplating the design for a new workbench. The first blog post in what will be a series on my new workbench design, explored the Nicholson workbench (see an example Nicholson here). Since then, the Nicholson bench has become more commonplace on the internet. It appears to be the next trendy workbench design. Something that will likely advance the popularity of the Nicholson workbench is the forthcoming DVD from Lost Art Press which will document the construction of a Nicholson bench using a basic tool set and common lumber. The idea is to build a quality bench based on a historic design and do it on a budget. Mike Siemsen will procure the tools and lumber, then build the bench. I can’t wait to buy the DVD.

So, I still have an interest in the Nicholson design; historic, relatively easy to build and can be created using common home center material. What’s not to like? For one, I don’t like the large aprons attached to each side of the top. And, except for a lower shelf, storage for tools and other items is minimal. Plus the Nicholson bench is a large workbench. A large bench in a small shop is a problem.  Continue reading

Progress on the window seat bookcase.

Something Odd Has Happened

For the past few weeks, I have almost lost all interest in woodworking – almost. I realized after focusing a lot of attention on my new job, I need to snap out of this situation.

I am getting plenty of satisfaction from my new job. There has been a mountain of work to do, but I am really liking the work. I am enjoying the job so much, that woodworking has slowed to a snail’s pace.

But, you can see in the photo above I have several of the components for the sides of the bookcase completed. So I have the legs formed and am working on the sides. I’ll have a more detailed update next weekend.

Annapolis, Maryland

Currently, I am Unemployed

My woodworking project has taken a back seat to some pretty significant events for our family. I mentioned in my last blog post that a major family wedding was about to take place. Now that the wedding has come and gone, I think the word “major” is not the best word to describe the wedding. Better: ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I have been to some big weddings in my time here on Earth. This one ranks as the best.

My wife, daughter and I had to fly to Baltimore, Maryland, rent a car and drive to Kent Island, Maryland which is just across Chesapeake Bay from Annapolis. We arrived a day early to do some sight-seeing. The wedding was held at the Chesapeake Bay Beach Club. Click the link and let the image slider do its thing. It was a great venue for a wedding; food and beverages were non-stop and I even danced some.

When we returned home, only a few days passed before I decided to quit my job of 16 years with Mohawk Industries. I will soon be working as a sales representative with a smaller competitor; Beaulieu America. The process from first contact with Beaulieu to my acceptance of the job took about four long weeks. Along the way, there were moments of excitement and times of uncertainty; a nerve-wracking time for sure. But I pulled the trigger and I start my new job tomorrow, which means I have been unemployed for a week.  Continue reading


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,176 other followers

%d bloggers like this: